What is Ayurveda?
Ayurveda is the way of living. The word Ayurveda consists of 2 parts “Ayush” and “Veda”. Veda is derived from the root “Vid” meaning to “to understand”—So Ayurveda is to understand Ayush. “Vid” also means to gain—So Ayurveda is to gain Ayush.
Ayush is a combination of 4 factors—Sharira (body), Indriya (Senses), Sattva(mind) and Atma(soul). Life is a union of all these 4 elements. So Ayurveda is not only a medical science but also a complete way of living to achieve health in all possible ways—Physical, emotional, Social and Spiritual.
- Cause and Effect Phenomenon—no protocol based medication based on labs, numbers but this
science finds out what the root cause is and addresses that root cause
- We are part of nature—the same 5 elements that are in the universe are present in us as well
- Ayurveda is Eternal—its principles have not changed for the past 5,000 years
- Not Man Made—Principles always existed and were downloaded by the ancient sages
- Individual blue print—tailor made treatment for each individual constitution and body type
- Can be used anywhere in the world
- Health is addressed in many ways not just physical but also emotional, spiritual and social
- Safe—no side effects due to the treatment
Goal of Ayurveda:
To protect the health of the healthy and to cure the diseases of patients—now comes the question what is health?
Health(Swastha) according to Sushruth a great sage is as follows:
Sama doshaah Sama agnischa sama dhatu malakriyah
Prasanna-Atma-Indriya-Manah-swastha iti abhidhiiyate
The 3 doshas—Vata, Pitta and Kapha are most powerful entities that form a system for the proper functioning of the body—Creating a balance in these creates health and vice versa. Agni (digestive fire) helps in conversion of food into the 7 Dhatus (tissues). Dhatus are the building blocks of our body. Proper excretion of the waste products indicates a clean and good working environment. Helath also extends to pleasant soul, senses and mind. The lifestyle changes and herbs recommended will help us achieve health as mentioned above.